2008/04/27

The two Birds


"Like two birds
of golden plumage,

inseparable companions,
the individual self and the immortal Self
are perched on the branches of the selfsame tree.
The former tastes of the sweet and bitter fruits of the tree;
the latter, tasting of neither,
................calmly observes."

[The Mundaka Upanishad]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I am Arjuna.
Mounted upon my chariot
in the midst of a great battlefield,
I am bewildered.

Mankind is arrayed for destruction;
all those I cherish, now in opposition.
I’d rather flee in disgrace and dishonor
than to lay my hand against another.

My most intimate friend and
only confidant holds the reins.
Knowing me better than I know myself,
he alone I can trust and believe.

For he is my Self and I am confusion.

All that the mind can conceive, with its symbols, are mere metaphors.
Although the metaphors contain a life which is greater
............................than that of the symbols themselves;
they can never bring to mind the essence of life itself."
[anonymous]
.
..........April 27, 2008 ....................................................................................